Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hello and Goodbye

I just realized that I have been involving myself in transitory relationships for the past two years of my life; whether it is of friendship, affairs of the heart and even work! Well, I would not want to go into details with all the craziness I did in my past but recently when my best friend left off for Europe I started to become conscious that at first it was an unintentional choice but now it seems as if it’s as easy as counting 1,2,3 a,b, c hello and goodbye.
I couldn’t imagine how easily I got attached to people before. I never wanted to end wonderful things shared, and saying goodbye was like waking up from very beautiful dream then. I hate to admit that I really give a part of me, that I really exert effort, time and emotions without asking anything in return, I just want to give out all I could give feeling that there was so much to give.

I laugh at the thought that I would really burst into tears when I say goodbye to my French tourists when I bid them goodbye at the airport after spending ten or more days with them. My job as a tourist guide was hard because over some time you get to know your clients and as day goes by you have established a wonderful relation with them, the genuine concern, kindness and care you had for them; they were like babies you took care of for more than a week. It was just hard to accept that they were leaving, that I am going to miss them, and partly of exhaustion from work. I had countless tours and the last day always bring me to tears, that is why I think that the airport is one of the saddest places in the world. I associate it with goodbyes that I know will last forever.

Well this has been a vicious cycle for me. I travel a lot and meet a lot of wonderful people that I get close with. I venture to the unknown and feel genuine kindness and concern given by strangers. Sometimes surprisingly you will also meet special people that would make a place significantly attached to you because of the shared memories. But it all boils down to one thing, there‘s always going to be an end to it no matter how sweet and special these shared moments were. I guess we should just swallow the fact that nothing lasts forever.

Frankly, I am not saddened by this fact anymore because if there was one thing that travel has taught me, it was to accept change. There is no use in crying over the past. I know, it takes some time and mastery to be able to detach yourself from this fact, I too used to be a cry baby, too emotional to let go. But hey, we got beautiful memories, that mere moment shared with that person/ those people are uniquely yours to share and cherish forever.
What is important is that you seized the day and lived it to the fullest, and as they say, the fact that it will never happen again is what makes like sweeter.
Carpe Diem!

No comments: